Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thinking Out Loud - Adventures in Self Publishing

            This is the first in a series of blogs about my experience with self publishing including my progress and what I have learned. I have more questions than answers, so this really is just me thinking out loud. I was just going to write one blog about it. It soon became obvious that my ramblings on this subject could not be contained in one blog post. I want to take time to address each section of my “stupid book stuff” as it has become known around my house.

How it all started: A little over a year ago, my sister, my best friend and I were sitting out in my gazebo talking about all our favorite paranormal romance series as we usually do. I told them that I had a few story ideas myself but could never get passed the first chapter. They were curious, so I told them about a few. They loved my ideas and threatened me with bodily harm if I didn’t write them down. I was surprised by their enthusiasm, but I thought it would fade as time went on. Nope. They kept hammering at me, so I started to write.

I had written a lot of poetry and short stories, but I just didn’t have the discipline to finish a book. It was the one writing goal that had eluded me for years. I got off to a great start, but as usual, it became so overwhelming I quit. I didn’t quit so much as take a break. I didn’t like the ending. Months passed. My sister and best friend continued to pester me. Then a few days before Memorial Day weekend this year, I was talking to my husband about it. He asked me how much I had left. Just a few scenes and the ending I told him. He said “What’s stopping you?” I realized I didn’t like the ending. It was missing the “WOW” factor. It was predictable and boring. Once I figured that out, I couldn’t stop writing. That 3-day weekend I was tethered to the computer. I wrote 12-14 hours a day. I barely ate. I didn’t get dressed. I was mad when I had to go to the bathroom, but I finished it.

I can’t tell you the amazing feeling of accomplishment I had when I finished that book. The one writing hurdle I had never been able to master. That high was short lived though because I could see the finish line. I immediately started editing and revising. I hooked my talented brother who happens to be a graphic artist into designing a book cover. I made contact with a good friend of mine, Thomas Amo, who was also a self published author and began hammering him with questions. Together we got my book uploaded to Amazon as an ebook and Lulu for paperbacks. I thought that was the hard part. I stared at my Amazon page with a stupid grin. I was a published author. Let the adventure begin…stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I LOOVe this! (Getting ready to take MASSIVE notes) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! This sounds like me! I applaud you and wish you much success!! I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for taking the time to read my blog and for leaving comments! I'm afraid I may have more questions than answers with this series...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well natch I read your blog! You rock! Questions are just the ladder rungs to getting where you want to go, so let 'er rip! :D (Sorry I've been in and out on twitter and missing you!)

    ReplyDelete