Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Favorite Indie Book Picks for 2011

            In August of 2011, I was launched into the self publishing world I didn’t even know existed. Since then I have been filling up my Kindle with books from fellow authors. I am so impressed with the quality of writing I have found in self publishing. The only problem is – I can’t read fast enough! Here are some of the books I have read this year that I really loved. I was lucky enough to get connected with some self published authors early on, so I started with their books and have since found more people on Facebook and Twitter. Meeting so many talented authors gave me a chance to check out some other genres that I would not normally read, which I really enjoyed. Without further ado, here are my favorite books for 2011. They are in no particular order, so do yourself a favor and look at all of them!

 
Exiled by M.R. Merrick – I met Matt on Facebook and we also connected on Twitter. We published our books about the same time, so it was fun to compare notes. Exiled was one of the first self published books I read and I was blown away! I love this book so much, I can’t even tell you. It will suck you in from the first page and will not let go. I cannot wait for the next installment of this series!

Y.A.
 



An Apple For Zoe by Thomas Amo – Tom has been a dear friend of mine for more years than I care to say. I have always admired him because he has spent his life living and pursuing his dreams. He inspired me to take the self publishing leap and was there to give advice and help me at every turn. It had been a long time since I had read a horror book when I picked up this page turner. AAFZ reminded me how much fun horror can be. This is the first installment in a trilogy that is a must read for horror fans. I am dying to see what happens next! This book will have you sleeping with the lights on!

Adult




Blood Lust by Gary C. King – I met Gary on Twitter. Have to say I really have a secret passion for true crime/forensic books, and Gary did not disappoint. His writing style is clean and concise with just the right amount of detail. He sticks to the facts and never sensationalizes the crimes. He shows great respect for the victims and their families as well as for law enforcement. I already have two more of his books waiting on my Kindle!

Adult





The Case of the Forged Fingerprint Killer by Eric J. Ekstrom – I found Erik through a mutual friend on Facebook. I don’t normally read thrillers, but I picked up his book just to be nice. I was surprised to find that I fell in love with this story and the main character Everett Holmes. He isn’t your classical kind of hero, but I am really addicted to this series. Totally twisted!

Tough Adult J




For Nothing (An Upstate New York Mafia Tale) by Nicholas Denmon – I met Nicholas on Facebook. His mafia book didn’t really interest me, but I was curious and downloaded the sample. His writing style is breathtaking. I think I held my breath through the whole first chapter. Downloaded the rest of the book and became an immediate fan.

Adult




Things to Do in Denver When You’re Un-Dead by Mark Everett Stone – Okay, how can you not buy a book with a title like that? Mark is another gem I found on Twitter. I have to admit that I’m still reading this one, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite books ever! I am so glad it’s going to be a series because I cannot get enough of Mark’s writing. I love his sense of humor and his writing style is original and distinctive. I look forward to getting lost in the world of the BSI.

Adult (Maybe older Y.A.)




Model Agent by Sean Sweeney – This was another book that surprised me. Sean is one of the first writers I met on Facebook and has been a great source of information. He has a number of self published books, but I picked this thriller which is the first in a series. I loved the main character Jaclyn Johnson, and Sean has a great talent for creating truly frightening bad guys. The spy gadgets in this book would rival any James Bond story. There are several more books available in this series that I will be adding to my reading list!

Adult




Betrayed by Wodke Hawkinson – Found this writing duo on Twitter. Initially, I was a little concerned about this story because it deals with a rape victim. The book is very descriptive, so be warned. However, this story is more about healing, forgiveness, and the power of love. I have a serious soft spot for these characters.

Adult




Deadly Reunion (The Taci Andrews Deadly Series) by Amy Manemann – Met Amy on Twitter as well. This book was pure fun. Sometimes is nice to sit down with a book that keeps you smiling and eager to find out what happens next. I will definitely be following this series!

Adult (Maybe Y.A.)




How to Date a Werewolf (Rylie Cruz Series) by Rose Pressey – Rose has a lot of books with titles that are just as catchy as this one. Another book I bought for the title, but what a great read. You can tell that she really has a lot of fun with her characters and stories. Looking forward to getting How to Date a Vampire!

Adult (Older Y.A.)



            I have a bunch of new books as well that I can’t wait to read including:


Don’t Fear the Reaper by Michelle Muto



First Chosen (Tears of Rage) by M. Todd Gallowglas

Driven to Kill by Gary C. King


Let’s Get Lade by Thomas Amo


And more to come…

2 comments:

  1. THANKS!!!!! Bud so cool!! :) you got some cool books there I hadn't seen, now I gotta check out!

    Awesome to be your friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for including me! :) xo

    ReplyDelete